Welcome to Fletcher House, an Edwardian Villa
This typical Edwardian villa was built in 1909 by Sir James Fletcher, founder of Fletcher Construction Company Ltd. In December 1990 Fletcher Challenge decided to restore the Fletcher House and open it to the public, making it the first villa in New Zealand to be opened for all to enjoy.
It has been fully restored to its former glory and furnished in the style of the period by the Toitu Otago Settlers Museum
The house was built by Sir James Fletcher and his building partner Albert Morris. It was built for Hubert and Agnes Green when they got married. Hubert was the local post master and store keeper. His shop once stood in front of the house next-door.
Fletcher House was the very first double bay villa home that Sir James Fletcher built and since the well to-do of Dunedin society spent their summer hoildays in Broad Bay, it wasn’t long after the building of Fletcher House, that Fletcher Brothers was established with his brother William after Albert Morris left. The Fletcher Construction Building Company Ltd; began in 1919 when Sir James moved to Auckland. They went on to build NZ’s biggest building/ construction business.
OPEN WEEKENDS AND PUBLIC HOLIDAYS
727 Portobello Road, Broad Bay, Dunedin
Phone: 03 478 0180
Tours run from 11am to 4pm on weekends and public holidays (Except Christmas Day)
$10 per person